For the first time, I am impressed with the character of the Cincinnati Bengals. This new attitude is led by Head Coach Marvin Lewis. Here are some facts about Coach Lewis compiled from articles several years ago:
- He wouldn’t take the Cincinnati job until upgrades were made in travel, food, and their weight room.
- He started a chapel program.
- He is a constant presence and gives players his cell phone number.
- He focuses on the “little things”.
- He was a class president, top student, and quarterback.
- Growing up, his life revolved around his church.
- He previously coached under Brian Billick, Bill Cowher, and learned personnel from Ozzie Newsome.
It is important to note that one’s charisma and ability can often take them to a place where their character cannot sustain them. Guys like Marvin Lewis and Assistant Coach Mike Zimmer don’t have to worry about that. I’m rooting this year for the Cardiac Cats.