20 Things I’m Thinking On Christmas Eve About Church and Sports
Today is a really fun post to write. This is a wonderful Christmas season for our family and we are preparing for a great couple of days. I am doing some reflective thinking today about the past year and decade and am just going to put down some random thoughts.
- I have a lot of gifts under the tree, a happy and healthy family, good friends, and been at my job for 7.5 years. I am truly beyond blessed, a lot more than most. Every good and perfect gift comes from above and I have many.
- I have the best wife and daughter in the world.
- There are many great things going on in American churches right now. More people are being served and attendance is higher than ever.
- However, I think we may be at an all-time low on biblical literacy.
- It’s going to take Hybels or Warren to say it before everyone gets on board. However when they do, we all know that small groups are largely ineffective. Each church may have 2-3 that are prevailing but because of child care, teaching and leadership giftedness, and the ability to control discipleship, small groups are in a train wreck status currently.
- Generosity is a big buzz word in churches. But when only 7-8% of Christians tithe, we are not addressing the real issue. We feel better about ourselves talking about generosity but the problem is not going away. The problem is to identify the problem. The solution then becomes obvious.
- Drew Brees will be one of the three NFC QBs in the Pro Bowl. Good luck though picking the other two from Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Kurt Warner, Eli Manning, and Aaron Rodgers. Great QBing in the NFC right now.
- Speaking of Favre, he is just my favorite player because of the entertainment and drama that he provides. His last second win of the 49ers earlier this year is the NFL image of the year.
- Vince Young is the greatest human interest story this NFL season. Great story of personal growth, perseverance, and redemption.
- Peyton Manning is by far the best leader in sports.
- The best images in the NFL are watching Chris Johnson in open space and DeSean Jackson with the ball in his hands.
- I think the 5 best sports movies this decade were Remember The Titans, The Blind Side, Rocky Balboa, The Rookie, and For The Love Of The Game. I think Rocky Balboa is the most underrated movie of the decade.
- I love my Pastor, Crawford Loritts. What great insight and moral authority!
- When is the last time you heard a speaker talk about the need for purity and personal holiness on a national scale? It is the greatest need for Christians right now. Thank you Kay Arthur for carrying that torch.
- As much as I am loving the NFL this season, I am equally disappointed with college football. We did not get big years from Tim Tebow, Dez Bryant, Sam Bradford, Jahvid Best, Jermaine Greshem, USC, LSU, Georgia, FSU, Michigan, Arrelious Benn, and Terrell Pryor. When the Goliaths don’t play well, it makes for a sub-par season.
- Wasn’t baseball better with the New York Yankees returning to power.
- The Philadelphia Phillies are young and going to be very good for a long time.
- My heart goes out to the Cincinnati Bengals this year. I hope they go deep into the play-offs.
- The San Diego Chargers will beat the New Orleans Saints in the Super Bowl.
- I’ll take Kobe Bryant over LeBron James.
Finally, I am never amazed that a person’s talent takes them where their character cannot sustain them. However, I am constantly amazed at how little character some talented people have.