Are You A Juicy Lucy Leader
This past week I was in Minneapolis and had the privilege of dining at The 5-8 Club where I enjoyed a world-famous Juicy Lucy.Â For those unfamiliar with the Juicy Lucy, it is a hamburger withÂ cheese on theÂ inside of the patty rather than on top. This local cuisineÂ is soÂ popular that is wasÂ recently featured on the Travel Channel’s Man V. Food.Â To see that clip, click here.
The owners of this restaurant understand a significant leadership principle – It’s What On The Inside That Counts.Â Â For a leader to have the internal qualities that lay the foundation for sustainable success, here is what he/she needs to have on the inside.
- Character – Does your private life reflect your public persona?
- Integrity – Do you keep your word?
- Honesty – Do you tell the truth?
- Passion - Do you own the result?
- Trustworthiness – Can people count on you?
- Purity – Do your eyesÂ look atÂ the right things?
- Energy – Do you have a strong work ethic?
- Intelligence – Are you a continual learner?
- Focus – Do you avoid distraction and leverage your resources toward the right things?
- Attitude – Is your’s positive?
- Endurance – Do you have what it takes to complete the journey?
- Generosity – Are you unselfish?
- Externally FocusedÂ - Do you put other’s interest ahead of your own?
- Kindness – Are you gentle, caring, and tender-hearted?
- Self Control – If you can’t lead yourself, you can’t leadÂ others.
For a picture of someone who is extraordinarily talented but did not possess the necessary ingredients on the inside to sustain success, look no further than Tiger Woods.Â Don’t be too quick toÂ judge Tiger, however, because in our own strength we allÂ possess the capacity for similar behavior.
The reality in my life is that obtaining that list of 15 is impossible apart from my reliance on Jesus Christ and His work in my life.Â
So in the future, if someone calls you a “Juicy Lucy Leader”, take it as a compliment.Â They are impressed with what you have on the inside!Â Â Like manyÂ though, I could stand to lose about 10-15 more lbs on the outside.Â No more Juicy Lucys for me!
For future leadership insights, please subscribe to this post or click here.