What is “Apex Leadership”?Â Â Apex LeadershipÂ are theÂ leadership practices, principles, and thought processes of those who are the best at what they do.Â Â I am fascinated byÂ Apex Leaders.Â My familyÂ recently beganÂ attending Passion City Church in Atlanta on Sunday evenings.Â PCC’s worship leader Chris Tomlin is the top male vocalist in Christian music currently.Â He’s the best.Â Â
I recently purchased his new cd And If Our God Is For UsÂ which contains a bonus behind-the-scenes dvd.Â WhatÂ impressed me mostÂ on the dvd was Tomlin’s quote – â€œWeâ€™re not looking for just the next hit thatâ€™s going to last for 3 months.Â We wantÂ something thatâ€™s going to last for peopleâ€™s lives.Â That becomes kind of a soundtrack in their lives.Â Thatâ€™s what Iâ€™m preparing for.Â Thatâ€™s what Iâ€™m asking for with these songs.â€Â Amazing statement!
The following are the leadership lessons I take from Tomlin’sÂ statement:
- Apex LeadershipÂ Thinks Big -Â Most people would be thrilled to have a hit for three months.Â Not Tomlin who has had many hits.Â Â He wants songsÂ that will last people’s lives.Â The best leaders focus lessÂ on short-termÂ success and more onÂ long-termÂ significance.
- ApexÂ LeadershipÂ Is Timeless – Leaders, are you just trying to make it to month-end…or just hit your yearly numbers?Â I’m not saying that is a bad thing.Â However, the best leadersÂ do things that are lasting and define their times.Â Â Â
- ApexÂ LeadershipÂ Changes Lives -Â While it is important to sell soap, software, widgets, or move inventory, those things do not change human life.Â The best leaders create soundtracks thatÂ mark life change in others.Â TheyÂ create a message and frame it in such a way thatÂ it becomesÂ useable to those in their sphere of influence.
- ApexÂ Leadership Comes After A Time Of Preparation – Food tastes better coming out of a crock potÂ than it does a microwave.Â Â The best leaders are developedÂ over time.Â It’s as if there is a maturing, a marinating process thatÂ is necessary.Â I am reminded by Tomlin’s comments that it takesÂ seasoned leadership toÂ have a seasoned vision.Â
- Effective Leadership Has A Specific Assignment – PCC’s Senior Pastor Louie Giglio stated at a recent service that each song on this cd had been prayed over and has a specific assignment.Â Have you ever looked at your job, profession, or task as an assignment?Â The best leaders understand the meaning ofÂ the platform they’ve been givenÂ and leverage that influence accordingly.
Thinking Big, Being Timeless, Changing Lives, Preparation, andÂ Specific Assignments.Â Would these terms describe your leadership?Â If so, you may be an Apex Leader!Â If not,Â what do you need to change to reach that level?
To receive future posts automatically, simply subscribe orÂ click here.