30 Leadership Quotes By Seth Godin From Tribes Part 1
Tribes by Seth Godin is the best leadership book I’ve read in two years! Many of you are aware of Seth as his blog as it is the most widely read on the internet. If you have not read Tribes yet, you should order it by clicking here.
The following is Part 1 of a list of leadership quotes from the book:
- A tribe is a group of people connected to one another, connected to a leader, and connected to an idea.
- You don’t need a keyboard to lead…you only need the desire to make something happen.
- Generous and authentic leadership will always defeat the selfish efforts of someone doing it just because she can.
- Everyone is now also a leader.
- Heretics are the new leaders. The ones who challenge the status quo, who get out in front of their tribes, who create movements.
- For the first time ever, everyone in the organization – not just the boss – is expected to lead.
- Leadership isn’t difficult, but you’ve been trained for years to avoid it.
- Leadership is about creating change that you believe in.
- Leaders have followers. Managers have employees.
- Kings have always worked to maintain stability because that’s the best way to stay king.
- Leaders lead when they take positions, when they connect with their tribes, and when they help the tribe connect to itself.
- Leaders make a ruckus.
- Leadership doesn’t always start at the top, but it always manages to affect the folks at the top.
- Everything I did was for us, not for me. I didn’t manage; I led.
- A crowd is a tribe without a leader.
- If you want us to follow you, don’t be boring.
- The fastest growing churches are the newest ones.
- The essence of leadership is being aware of your fear (and seeing it in the people you wish to lead).
- Great leaders don’t want attention, but they use it. They use it to unite the tribe and to reinforce its sense of purpose.
- When a CEO takes the spoils of royalty and starts acting like a selfish monarch, he’s no longer leading. He’s taking.
- Deciding to lead, not manage, is the critical choice.
- Leadership is scarce because few people are willing to go through the discomfort required to lead. This scarcity makes leadership valuable.
- You get to choose the tribe you lead. Through your actions as a leader, you attract a tribe that wants to follow you.
- Great leaders don’t try to please everyone.
- No one anoints you as leader…Change isn’t made by asking permission. Change is made by asking forgiveness, later.
- Leaders who set out to give are more productive than leaders who seek to get…the intent of the leader matters.
- The top of the pyramid is too far away from where the action is to make much of a difference.’
- The art of leadership is understanding what you can’t compromise on.
- Leadership almost always involves thinking and acting like the underdog. That’s because leaders work to change things, and the people who are winning rarely do.
- Ordinary thinking and ordinary effort are almost never enough to generate leadership.
Tomorrow look for Part 2 of more leadership quotes from Seth Godin in Tribes.
To make your voice heard as a leader, click The Leadership Tribe link.
To automatically receiveÂ future posts on leadership, simply subscribe or click here.