8 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Johnny Deep And Tim Burton Of Dark Shadows
With Dark Shadows opening this weekend to average crowds but very good reviews, Johnny Depp and Director Tim Burton have formed arguably the most successful partnership in Hollywood history.Â In a May 11th USA Today profile, Hollywood historian Leonard Martin says that theirÂ eight films over 22 yearsÂ together are the most for a director-actor relationship ever.
The following are the characteristicsÂ of successful long-term working relationships that we glean from the article and learn from Depp and Burton:
- ChemistryÂ - During the interview, it was noted how much laughter was taking place between the two.Â Successful working relationships are characterized by people who genuinely enjoy being together.
- Keep Things Fresh – Of the eight films the two have done together, none have been sequels.
- Embrace Individual UniquenessÂ - Depp says, “We relate to characters who are a little off.Â People who don’t feel like they fit in anywhere.Â I think that’s why we work well together.”Â Successful working relationshipsÂ are often birthedÂ among those who are disenfranchised.Â TheyÂ haveÂ limited options.Â Sometimes they have nowhere else to go but greatness happens when they come together.
- Continually Look ForwardÂ - Interestingly, neither DeppÂ nor Burton have ever watched a movie they have created together.Â “That does not improve what I’m trying to do…once I’ve done my job, it’s none of my business” says Depp.Â BurtonÂ adds, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of our moviesÂ in a theater or on video.”
- TrustÂ - Whenever Burton needs DeppÂ for a film, DeppÂ will gladly free up his schedule.Â Maintaining successful workingÂ relationshipsÂ is a priority for those involved.Â DeppÂ says, “He started the path I’m on now.Â I’m nothing without him.Â If he thinks a story is worth telling, I trust him with everything.”
- Courage – Producer Richard Zanuck says, “Johnny is unafraid to take parts that could be the end of their careers.Â Tim is the same way.Â They’d prefer to make a movie that doesn’t remind you of any other movie.”
- RespectÂ - Burton and DeppÂ have developed a sophisticated non-verbal communication system.Â If DeppÂ needs to do a scene differently, Burton never makes it public.Â He simply gives non-verbal cues that only DeppÂ recognizes.Â For a successful long-term working relationship, issues must be dealt with stealthily and in private.
- MaturityÂ - Long-term working relationships simply get better over time.Â Shadows co-star Bella Heathcote says, “It’s almost symbiotic.Â They finish each other’s sentences.”Â Depp states, “I don’t think we could finish a coherent thought without help from each other.”
Chemistry, Freshness, Uniqueness, Looking Forward, Trust, Courage, Respect, and Maturity.Â If you practice theseÂ traits, you too may also have a successful long-term working relationship.
Leaders, for those you have served alongside of for an extended period of time, whatÂ have you seen that has enabled you to have a thriving relationship?
Enter your email address here and start receiving future posts from this site.
Download your FREE copy of my new eBook The 2011 Year In Hollywood Movies â€“ Leadership Edition today by clicking here.