5 Things Passion Does For Leaders
Today I am honored to have Dan Black guest blogging for this site.Â Â Dan is absolutely one of my favorite leadership writers.Â Â He writes a leadership blog which has a balance of faith-based and secular posts. His desire is to help others become better people and leaders. You can read his blog here and follow him on Facebook or Twitter.
Now, enjoy this incredibleÂ post!
Passion is a key element for a leader. I have observed the people who are successful and achieve great things have passion. It is important to find the areas you are passionate about then stay focused on them. I have discovered finding your purpose and strengths helps when it comes to having passion. Authors Robert Kriegel and Louis Patler cite a study of 1,500 people over 20 years showing the value of finding your passions within your life:
Â At the outset of the study, the group was divided into Group A, 83 percent of the sample, who were embarking on a career chosen for the prospect of making money now in order to do what they want later, and Group B, the other 17 percent of the sample, who had chosen their career path for the reverse reason, they were going to pursue (Their passions) what they want to do now and worry about money later. The data showed some startling revelations:
At the end of the 20 years, 101 of the 1,500 had become millionaires.
Of the millionaires, all but one-100 out of 101- were from Group B, the group that had chosen to pursue what they loved(Their passions)!
This study clearly shows the benefits and results of finding and focusing on your passions. Here are 5 other things that happen when a leader has passion:
1. Passion produces energy- A leader who has passion is driven forward from the energy it produces. When it comes to leading yourself and others passion and energy are essential. Donald Trump said, â€œWithout passion you donâ€™t have energy, without energy you have nothing.â€ Leaders who have passion also bring energy into what they do.
2. Passion drives vision- If a leader wants to see their vision and goals being accomplished, then the leaderâ€™s passion is the fuel that drives the production and results of the vision. The vision of the organization or team should be frequently and passionately communicated to others.
3. Passion ignites others- We have all seen or been around a passionate leader. I personally know after Iâ€™m around a passionate leader their energy and passions off on me. This causes me to feel more energized and motivated. A personâ€™s passions can ignite other peopleâ€™s passions and bring energy into their life.
4. Passion raises influence- John Wesley said, â€œWhen you set yourself on fire, people love to come and see you burn.â€ Â This is what happens when a leader has passion. The leader starts gaining more influence with others and people want to be a part of whatâ€™s going on. If you want to raise your influence then you need to be a passionate leader.
Question: Have you found your passions and how do they impact your leadership and life?
Enter your email address here and start receiving future posts from this site.
Download your FREE copy of my new eBook The 2011 Year In Hollywood Movies â€“ Leadership Edition today by clicking here.