10 Behaviors That Will Burn Leaders
The following story is personally embarrassingÂ butÂ it taught meÂ a major leadership lesson.Â My family was on vacation last week in Jekyll Island and it was time for us to go to the beach.Â My wife and I took an afternoon to sitÂ under an umbrella,Â relax, get out of the sun, and do some reading.
I hadÂ my rightÂ leg under the umbrella in the shadeÂ butÂ was unaware that my left foot wasÂ stretched too far outÂ and wasÂ exposed to the sun.Â After 90 minutes, IÂ was carrying all the items back to the hotelÂ when I noticed my left foot was looking extremely “scaly”Â for lack of a betterÂ word.
I’m a guy but surely you don’t put sunscreen on your feet do you?Â Well, yes you do becauseÂ after a couple of hours I had a major sunburn on one foot that did not heal until aÂ week later.Â My daughter started calling me “lobster.”Â With only one burned foot, I looked like a member of the X-Men just without any of the superpowers.
Here is the leadership lesson this experience taught me – When leaders leave even one part of their life, no matter how trivial they think that may be, they are unprotected.Â They are exposed.Â And theyÂ will get burnt.
- IfÂ men are watching television programsÂ at home or on the road they should not, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If leaders begin stretching the truth or telling “white lies”, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If leaders become greedy, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If leaders have anger issues, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If leaders become over-confident and fail to prepare, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If Christians neglect their prayer life and Bible reading, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If leaders fail to develop others, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If leaders lack boundaries, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If leaders neglect their health, theyÂ will get burnt.
- If leaders do not value different generations, races,Â or cultures, theyÂ will get burnt.
If these behaviorsÂ are not repented of and changed, the questionÂ is notÂ WILL you get burnt?Â Â You will.Â The question is WHEN willÂ you get burnt?
Leaders, does anything on this list concern you?Â Do you need to make significant changes TODAY?Â If so, please do or you may disqualify yourself from leading others.
What other behaviors would you list that could burn leaders?
Enter your email address here and start receiving future posts from this site.
Download your FREE copy of my new eBook The 2011 Year In Hollywood Movies â€“ Leadership Edition today by clicking here.