10 Lessons Pastors And Business Leaders Can Learn From College Football’s Top 10 Teams Of 2012
The college football season kicks off with two games on Thursday, August 30th.Â Recently anÂ ESPNUÂ panel of experts ranked their preseasonÂ Top 25 teams.Â I love analyzingÂ great sports teamsÂ because they offerÂ multiple transferableÂ concepts toÂ church, business, and non-profitÂ leaders.
The following are the ESPNU’s Top 10 preseason teams in descending order with lessons all leaders can learn from.
- After an 11-win season,Â the #10Â Michigan Wolverines face a unique challenge.Â Â Jesse Palmer states,Â ”The biggest issue facing Brady Hoke is complacency.”
- The #9 Arkansas Razorbacks are facing what John Maxwell calls The Law of the Lid.Â Can the team overcomeÂ the loss of head coach Bobby Petrino?Â Â PalmerÂ points outÂ thatÂ ”this team is really going toÂ miss Bobby PetrinoÂ in the play calling.”Â Fellow analyst Todd BlackledgeÂ adds,Â ”Bobby Petrino was as good as anyone as a play caller in the SEC.”
- The #8 South Carolina GamecocksÂ teachÂ us the value ofÂ flexible leadersÂ andÂ their willingness to adjust their systemÂ based upon theirÂ talent.Â Head Coach Steve SpurrierÂ has a great admirer inÂ Blackledge.Â Â ”I’m not sure that Steve (Spurrier) hasn’t had a better year coaching than he had last year…’We’re not going to throw it all over the park anymore’…They’re 95th in the country in passing and still win 11 games.Â It’s an amazing job he did.”
- The #7 Florida St.Â SeminolesÂ areÂ a deep and talented team.Â Â ”This is the year we will see the fruits of JimboÂ Fisher’s recruiting”Â says Palmer.Â Kirk HerbstreitÂ tells us why teamÂ depth is so important.Â “If they stay fresh (because of continually rotating players), they’ll play fast on defense the whole game.”
- Character and ChemistryÂ are theÂ keys to a successful season for the #6Â Georgia Bulldogs.Â Â The team’s defense has suffered multiple game suspensions because of the players’ off-season behavior.Â “They think they have 10 NFL players on defense.Â Can they get out of their own way?”Â asks Mark Schlabach.Â Â Blackledge points out that regardless of your level of talent, “the thing you don’t know year-to-year about a team is chemistry.”
- Often a leader’s success is determined by the quality of their teammates.Â The #5 Oklahoma Sooners suffered a major setback lastÂ season when star receiver Ryan BroylesÂ wasÂ injured.Â BlackledgeÂ reminded us thatÂ ”when Ryan Broyles went out of the lineup last year, (QB) Landry Jones disappeared.”
- Talent and skill determines opportunityÂ for the #4Â Oregon Ducks.Â Â ”Chip Kelly doesn’t necessarily give the job to person with the most seniority.”
- What makes the #3Â Alabama Crimson Tide great each season is that they have createdÂ aÂ leadership culture.Â Â ”Barrett Jones is one of the best leaders in college football” saysÂ Blackledge.Â David Pollack adds thatÂ youÂ can give more responsibility to leaders.Â “Nick Saban puts on a lot on the defense’s plates.Â He expects you to know tendencies.”
- UpgradedÂ talent mayÂ help the #2Â LSU TigersÂ win the NCAA championship.Â Interestingly,Â PalmersÂ wants us toÂ ”keep in mind the last three national champions had a first year starting quarterback.Â Zack Mettenberger has all the tools you are looking for…He is a natural leader.”
- Great teams, such as the preseason #1Â USC Trojans understand the value of proper motivation.Â Â HerbsteitÂ says, “The job Lane KiffinÂ did last year was one of the best jobs in all of college football.”Â However, what made you successful last year will not ensure success this year.Â Palmers adds that,Â ”Lane KiffinÂ this off-season purposefully has had to instill new concepts, new routes, and allow Matt Barkeley more time to call plays at the line of scrimmage just to keep him motivated.”
Complacency, The Law of the Lid, Flexibility, Depth, Character, Chemistry,Â Talented Teammates, Skill, Culture Of Leadership, Upgraded Talent, and Proper Motivation.
Practice these concepts andÂ you too may have a championship team.Â Which team are you most excited about this college football season?
Subscribe here so future posts can be sent directly to your Inbox. Also, as a gift for doing so, I will also send you a FREE copy of my latest eBook 151 Leadership Quotes: Timeless Truths That Will Make You A Better Leader.