25 Things I See When I Look At The American Church
I recently read a book that stated the American church was failing. While things are certainly not perfect and improvements could be made, I could not disagree more. The following are things I see when look at the American church. See if you agree.
- I see many churches that are completely out of space.
- I see churches with hallways that need to be widened.
- I see churches that are creating more open doors, both literally in their facilities, and figuratively to their communities.
- I see churches that have incredibly creative communicative strategies that are connecting more and more people to the heart of God.
- I see churches made up of individuals who deeply desire to experience Jesus.
- I see churches who need more gathering space.
- I see churches who no longer blame the economy but are not moving forward to fund their future.
- I see churches who are proactively engaging business leaders in meaningful volunteer positions.
- I see churches courageously throwing out things that no longer work.
- I see churches embracing simplicity and streamlining their programming.
- I see churches getting serious.
- I see churches making disciples.
- I see pastors boldly proclaiming biblical truth.
- I see miraculous life change.
- I see churches developing young leaders.
- I see churches constructing vision and having healthy conflict because of a holy discomfort with the way things are.
- I see fathers praying with their children.
- I see churches that are multi-cultural and multi-generational exploding in attendance.
- I see record amounts of financial resources being leveraged to serve the poor and under-resourced. Click here for a specific story from North Point Community Church.
- I see great partnerships with the business and non-profit sector forming.
- I see people having hope despite incomprehensible grief and suffering.
- I see forgiveness and healing.
- I see heads bowed, hands raised, arms outstretched, and bibles open (iPads on).
- I see people whom I deeply admire, respect, and love living lives worth emulating.
- I see Jesus being modeled and lived out in more and more people every day.
When I look at the American church I do not see failure. But I am interested in what you see when you see the American church? I’m open to all opinions.
Subscribe here so future posts can be sent directly to your Inbox. As a gift for doing so, I will also send you a FREE copy of my brand new eBook 455 Leadership Quotes: Lessons From 2012′s Top Christian Conference Speakers.