In honor of Mother’s Day, this post is dedicated to my wife Sonya. As a wife and stay-at-home mom, she is the greatest leader I know. For more on her leadership skills, click here.
Earlier today, my pastor Crawford Loritts of Fellowship Bible Church in Roswell, GA preached a challenging message about what makes a great mother. Since the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world, I felt the leadership lessons presented needed to be passed on to you.
A few introductory comments:
- A mother’s love provides the emotional security needed to face life.
- Moms produce and shape the future.
- There is nothing stronger than heart attachment.
Now, the 4 commitments every mother needs to make to be a great mother.
A Commitment To Live A Godly And Humble Life. This is the Principle Of Example (Titus 2:3-5)
- Love your husband and children in that order.
- Teach the generation to love.
- Live with self-control.
- Teach your children to think right and act from that. Keep your emotions under control.
A Commitment To Make Your Home Your Passionate Priority. This is the Principle Of Focus (Proverbs 31:27-28)
- Don’t treat your husband or children as if they are interruptions to your life.
- Do not judge or persecute women who choose to stay at home to raise their children.
- Do not judge or persecute women who choose to work. Some people have a higher capacity.
- Do not know everyone else’s business but your own.
- Keep your reward in mind.
- Do not take more from a woman than you invest.
- Husbands, do not let your child get away with disrespecting your wife. Honor has to be taught.
A Commitment To Give Your Children To The Lord. This is the Principle Of Stewardship (I Samuel 1:27-28)
- We do not own our children. They are on loan to us.
- We raise our children to go in one direction – toward God and out the door.
- This child is being sent somewhere by God.
A Commitment To Not Stand In God’s Way. This is the Principle Of Release (Mark 3:31-35)
- Stop inviting your children home all the time.
- Let them leave. Stop giving them so many reasons to hang around.
- Celebrate their adult choices.
I hope every mom reading this post has a wonderful Mother’s Day. We can’t thank you enough for all you do.
What additional qualities do you think great mothers possess?
Subscribe here so future posts can be sent directly to your Inbox. As a gift for doing so, I will also send you a FREE copy of my brand new eBook 455 Leadership Quotes: Lessons From 2012′s Top Christian Conference Speakers.