Whether you lead a church, business, non-profit, or athletic organization, you want it to be successful. Few things are as worse as going to church, the office, or to a team you are part of knowing you have little chance for succeed. Everyone wants to be part of a winner. No one wants to be part of a dead end opportunity.
One of the benefits of being part of a winner is how dramatically it changes your perspective. For example, let’s take a look at last Thursday’s 21-20 victory by the Denver Broncos over the Carolina Panthers. Denver won with four seconds to play when kicker Graham Cano made a pressure-filled 50-yard field goal.
Because Cano made the kick, new quarterback Trevor Siemian is being hailed for his poise. John Elway is being praised as a general manager for finding him in the 7th round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Head coach Gary Kubiak is once again being recognized as a quarterback guru who put Siemian in a position for success.
But what would have happened if Cano’s kick would have missed? What would the perspective of many be if the kick would have been 5 feet to the left resulting in a Panthers’ victory? Siemian would be considered in-over-his-head because of two poor throws resulting in interceptions. Elway should have planned ahead and developed a better quarterback because everyone knew two years ago Peyton Manning would be retiring. And Kubiak should called a better game. Oh the difference 5 feet makes!
But Cano did not miss. The Broncos did not lose. And we were reminded once again about the difference between successful and unsuccessful organizations.
The One Thing Determines The Success Of Your Church, Business, Non-Profit Or Athletic Organization is LEADERSHIP!!!
Let’s take a deeper look at the point difference in NFL games over the last 20 years:
- 0 points 0.20%
- 1 point 4.27%
- 2 pts 3.74%
- 3 pts 15.38%
- 4 pts 5.58%
- 5 pts 3.15%
- 6 pts 5.76%
- 7 pts 8.04%
In summary, 46.12% of NFL games are determined on the final drive. Basically the majority of victory in one-half of professional football games can swing on a single play. The majority of NFL games are competed between two basically equal teams.
John Maxwell in his wonderful book The 17 Indisputable Laws Of Teamwork teaches The Law of the Edge. The Law of the Edge says “The Difference Between Two Equally Talented Teams Is Leadership.” Nowhere is this more reflected on a weekly basis than in professional football.
It is also reflected elsewhere. In 2011, the Ohio State Buckeyes football team had a 6-7 record. Enter Urban Meyer as head coach and the next year the team had a 12-0 record. In 2013, the Michigan Wolverines football team had a 5-7 record. Enter Jim Harbaugh as head coach and the next year the team had a 10-3 record. In each instance, the players for both teams were basically the same. The difference was they got the right leader.
Your church, business, non-profit or athletic organization may already be positioned for success. You just need the right leader.
20 Things That Happen When You Get The Right Leader:
- The Right Leader creates a winning culture.
- The Right Leader gets you prepared.
- The Right Leader raises expectations.
- The Right Leader focuses on the fundamentals.
- The Right Leader eliminates distractions and waste.
- The Right Leader gets the right people on the boss and gets the wrong people off the bus.
- The Right Leader attracts other great leaders.
- The Right Leader holds people accountable.
- The Right Leader puts systems in place.
- The Right Leader gives you confidence.
- The Right Leader puts you in position for success.
- The Right Leader recruits great talent.
- The Right Leader creates a sense of urgency.
- The Right Leader does not accept lack of effort.
- The Right Leader does not accept lack of character.
- The Right Leader does not make excuses.
- The Right Leader ensures sustainable success.
- The Right Leader makes everyone better.
- The Right Leader delivers superior results.
- The Right Leader celebrates victory.
This is why when the margin for success is so small, leadership makes all the difference.
If you want to get better as a church, business, non-profit, or athletic organization, get The Right Leader.
Click HERE or on the image to the left and as a free gift for subscribing to this site, you can receive my new Ebook 1269 Leadership Quotes: Timeless Truths From 2016’s Top Christian Leadership Conferences. Featured are the Johnny Hunt Mens Conference, ReThink Leadership, Orange and Leadercast Conferences among others. If applied, these insights will make you an exponentially better leader. Enjoy!!!