On Saturday, March 11th I had the privilege of speaking to approximately 90 cadets, administrators, officers, and volunteers at the 2017 The King’s Academy Military Ball. What made this event special is King’s has the nation’s first homeschool JROTC program.
The unit’s leader, Colonel Rick Stepat asked me to speak to the subject of servant leadership. Because of our friendship and the type of leaders this program is producing, I was honored to participate. Using 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 as my primary text, I taught the 16 Marks Of Effective Servant Leadership. The following is my outline:
16 Marks Of Effective Servant Leadership
1. Servant Leaders Are Patient
- Not everyone develops the same.
- Not everyone learns the same.
- Not everyone processes information the same.
- Not everyone makes decisions the same.
- If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, you must build a team.
2. Servant Leaders Are Thankful
- Let me tell you about my team.
- Servants leaders don’t want someone else’s team.
- My team is just fine thank you. I’ll go into battle with them anytime.
3. Servant Leaders Are Kind
4. Servant Leaders Are Not Arrogant
- Servant leaders do not tell you how good THEY are.
- Servant leaders tell you how good YOU are.
5. Servant Leaders Are Humble
- Servant leaders do not boast.
- Servant leaders are continual learners. They are incurably curious. They have to know why something works.
- Servant leaders are readers.
- Learning is a privilege. Take advantage of it.
6. Servant Leaders Honor People
- Servant leaders spotlight others. They put the attention on them.
- Servant leaders tell the story of what God is doing in the lives of others.
- Servant leaders recognize what Jesus Christ is doing in and through the lives of others.
7. Servant Leaders Place The Needs Of Others Ahead Of Themselves
- The sacrifice time, money, notoriety, opportunities, and personal pleasure all for the good of others.
8. Servant Leaders Are Not Easily Angered
- The only difference between anger and danger is a “d”.
- Servant leaders think the best of others and their intentions.
- Servant leaders do not give power away by making decisions based upon what their enemies think.
9. Servant Leaders Forgive Their Worst Enemies
- One person’s character does not determine yours.
- They keep no record of wrongs.
10. Servant Leaders HATE Evil
- They stop it.
- STUDENT CHALLENGE – Stop bullying and gossip.
11. Servant Leaders LOVE Truth And Justice
- They fight for what is right.
12. Servant Leaders Always Protect Others
- Servant leaders stand in the gap for others.
- Servant leaders are the voice for those with no voice.
- Servant leaders stand on a wall or beachhead or behind a desk or at the front door of their home and say, “Nothing is going to happen to you on my watch. You can sleep well tonight.”
- Servant leaders allow the opportunity to become everything God created you to be and to achieve your maximum potential.
13. Servant Leaders Always Trust
- The best servant leaders trust God first.
- And because they have a trusting vertical relationship with God, they can also have a trusting relationship with others.
14. Servant Leaders Always Hope
- Servant leaders are people of second chances.
- Servant leaders help us make progress everyday, even if we sometimes fail.
- Servant leaders know the sun will come up tomorrow.
- Servant leaders know our best days ahead.
- The success of servant leaders comes from helping you become a success.
15. Servant Leaders Always Persevere
- No matter how often servant leaders get knocked down
- No matter how difficult the journey is
- No matter how painful the road may be
- No matter how discouraged and disillusioned you may sometimes get
- No matter how frightened you may become, servant leaders always press forward.
- Because leadership is not about me, it’s about you.
- And you are worth it.
16, Servant Leadership Never Fails
- The greatest servant leader of all-time is Jesus Christ
- Mark 10:45 – “For even The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and give His life as a ransom for many.”
Click HERE or on the image to the left and as a free gift for subscribing to this site, you can receive my new Ebook 1269 Leadership Quotes: Timeless Truths From 2016’s Top Christian Leadership Conferences. Featured are the Johnny Hunt Mens Conference, ReThink Leadership, Orange and Leadercast Conferences among others. If applied, these insights will make you an exponentially better leader. Enjoy!!!