If your church, business, athletic organization or non-profit wants to get better, or you have a department that needs to get better, there is a simple solution – get a better leader. Everyone wins and everything gets better when your leadership quotient improves.
So how do you pick the right leader? NFL teams are all trying to answer that question later this month in their NFL Draft. Recently, the website The Ringer identified seven qualities teams should look for in selecting their franchise quarterback. The lessons apply to anyone looking for their next leader.
The following are 7 Qualities To Look For In Selecting Your Next Leader. Notice this list does not include age or salary requirements.
- A History Of Proven Performance – Vince Lombardi said, “Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” How often did they lead a team to a come-from-behind victory? What is his won-loss record? The simple fact is great leaders produce great results.
- The Ability To Handle Pressure – Does the leader have a thick skin? Are they resilient? Can they bounce back from mistakes and disappointment? Are they tough?
- They Work Hard – They give their blood, sweat and tears to the organization. Jeff Van Gundy said, “Your best player has to set a tone of intolerance for anything that gets in the way of winning.” Laziness and great leadership cannot occupy the same space.
- High Intelligence – Do they have institutional knowledge? Leaders are readers. Do they study? Are they continual learners? Are they quick on their feet? Do they have high mental capacity.
- The “IT” Factor – Leadership is caught as well as taught. Do they have a natural charisma? When this leader walks in the room, things happen. They produce results. People naturally follow them.
- Body Language – Most communication is delivered non-verbally. They have a commanding presence.
- Likability – People like them. Would you rather be liked or respected as leader? The answer is both but if I had to choose one it would be liked. No one follows someone they don’t like. There are just too many other options.
If you are making a checklist of what type of leader you should hire, these seven qualities are a great place to start.
Click HERE or on the image to the left and as a free gift for subscribing to this site, you can receive my new Ebook 1269 Leadership Quotes: Timeless Truths From 2016’s Top Christian Leadership Conferences. Featured are the Johnny Hunt Mens Conference, ReThink Leadership, Orange and Leadercast Conferences among others. If applied, these insights will make you an exponentially better leader. Enjoy!!!