On May 19th, 2014, Naval Admiral William H. McRaven, Commander of the United States Special Operations Command, and Distinguished Alumnus of the University of Texas, gave the commencement address to his alma mater’s graduating class. If you want to be inspired, watch a video of the speech above.
The university’s slogan is “What starts here changes the world.” Admiral McRaven’s speech focused on helping students do just that – change the world. The foundation of his thoughts centered around 10 Leadership Lessons he learned as part of the Navy SEALS:
- If you want to change the world start of by making your bed. It will give you a small sense of pride and that one task completed will lead to another task completed. If you cannot do the little things right, you cannot do the big things. A made bed will give you encouragement tomorrow will be better.
- If you want to change the world find someone to help you paddle. You can’t change the world alone. You will need some help.
- If you want to change the world measure a person by the size of their heart not the size of their flippers. Nothing mattered but your will to succeed.
- If you want to change the world get over being a sugar cookie and keep moving forward. Sometimes no matter how well you prepare or how well you perform, you will fail. It’s just how life is.
- If you want to change the world don’t be afraid of the circuses. Pain built physical strength and inner-resiliency.
- If you want to change the world sometimes you have to head down the obstacles head first.
- If you want to change the world don’t back down from the sharks. There are a lot of sharks in the world. If you want to complete your swim, you must deal with them.
- If you want to change the world you must be your very best in the darkest moments. The darkest moment of the mission is when you need to be calm. When you must be calm. When you must be composed.
- If you want to change the world start singing when you are up to your neck in mud. The power of hope. The power of one person. One person can change the world by giving people hope.
- If you want to change the world don’t EVER EVER ring the bell. All you have to do to get out of SEAL training is ring the bell.
What an incredible speech! What is one thing you learned from this speech which will make you a better leader?
Click HERE or on the image to the left and as a free gift for subscribing to this site, you can receive my new Ebook 1269 Leadership Quotes: Timeless Truths From 2016’s Top Christian Leadership Conferences. Featured are the Johnny Hunt Mens Conference, ReThink Leadership, Orange and Leadercast Conferences among others. If applied, these insights will make you an exponentially better leader. Enjoy!!!