This evening I attended an opening night showing of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Though I did not arrive in all my Star Wars regalia, I am glad I chose to join those who did. This movie is incredible!
The highlight of the movie is the relationship between Rey, played by Daisy Ridley, and Kylo Ren, played by Adam Driver. It is the tension between light and darkness. It is about choices and how they affect our future. It is about buying into a lie or paying the price needed for success.
There is no language, nudity or even suggestive dialogue. Star Wars: The Last Jedi is proof good story-telling and character development is all you need to make a good movie and draw large audiences. Go see it this weekend and have a great time!
The following are 22 Leadership Quotes And Lessons From Star Wars: The Last Jedi:
- Great Leaders Provide Hope For Others – Supreme Leader Snoke said, “As long as the seed of the Jedi lives, hope lives in the galaxy.”
- Great Leaders See Greatness In Their People – Supreme Leader Snoke told Ren, “When I found you, I saw raw, untamed power… and beyond that, something truly special.”
- One Thing We All Have In Common Is We All Have A Past – Luke Skywalker, played by the incomparable Mark Hamil, told an orphaned Rey, “No one is from nowhere.”
- All Leadership Is Temporary – Skywalker said, “I only know one truth: It’s time for the Jedi to end.”
- Great Leaders Give People A Bigger Picture Of The World – Skywalker told Rey, “Breathe. Just breathe. Now reach out. What do you see?” She said, “Light. Darkness. A balance.” Skywalker replied, “It’s so much bigger.”
- Great Leaders Are Great Teachers – Luke told Rey, “Lesson one. The force is not a power you have. It’s a tension that binds the universe together.”
- Leaders Must Lead With Generosity And An Open Hand – Skywalker also said, “The force does not belong to the Jedi. To say the Jedi dies, the force dies is vanity.”
- All Leaders Fail. The Question Is What Do You Learn From It? – “Lesson two – the legacy of the Jedi is failure, hubris.”
- Great Leaders Are Continual Learners – Skywalker noted of Rey, “I’ve seen this raw strength only once before. It didn’t scare me enough then. It does now.”
- Even The Best Leaders Get Better With A Coach Or Mentor – Regarding her power, Rey said, “I need someone to show me my place in all of this.”
- Great Leaders Protect Their Teams From Danger – When Rey wanted to connect with Ren, Skywalker advised, “This is not going to go the way you think!”
- Great Leaders Are Catalysts For Change – Poe Dameron, played by Oscar Isaac, said, “We are the spark, that will light the fire that’ll burn the First Order down.”
- Yoda said, “The greatest teacher failure is.”
- Great Leaders Have Great Perseverance – Commander Leia said, “Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you’ll never make it through the night.”
- Great Leaders Give Their Teams Confidence By Having A Plan – While coming under heavy attack, an exasperated Dameron said to Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo, played by Laura Dern, “Tell us you have a plan!”
- Great Leaders Must Be Willing To Pay A Greater Price – After Holdo gave her life to rescue the fleet, Leia said, “She was more interested in protecting the light than being a hero.”
- Great Leaders Must Become Experts At Their Craft – Noting the force, Rey said, “I felt something. It awakened but now I need to know how to wield it.”
- Smart Leaders Always Honor The Past But Look Forward To The Future – Ren pleaded with Rey, “Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That’s the only way to become what you are meant to be.”
- Never Hire People With Poor Character – Members of the Resistance hired a criminal hired a criminal to break into the Startrooper’s ship. He ultimately turned on them.
- Great Leaders Leave A Great Legacy – Leia said of Skywalker, “No one’s ever really gone.”
- Great Leaders Are Never Without Options Or Resources – Rey asked Leia, “How do we rebuild the rebel force from this?” To which she replied, “We have everything we need.”
- Investing In The Next Generation Ensures Your Organization Has A Sustainable Future – The movie ends with a foreshadowing of the next generation of Resistance leaders – a group of young children.
Once again, Star Wars: The Last Jedi is an incredible movie! Join the rest of the world and catch it this weekend. May the force be with you.
Click HERE or on the image to the left and as a free gift for subscribing to this site, you can receive my new Ebook 1269 Leadership Quotes: Timeless Truths From 2016’s Top Christian Leadership Conferences. Featured are the Johnny Hunt Mens Conference, ReThink Leadership, Orange and Leadercast Conferences among others. If applied, these insights will make you an exponentially better leader. Enjoy!!!