For the past 15 years I have had the privilege of working with INJOY Stewardship Solutions helping churches raise significant capital and fully-fund their mission and vision. One of the things I often do is help pastors and church leaders work through some initials fears they may have about the process. This would include some of the following:
- How much can we raise?
- What if we fail?
- Will this campaign be high-pressure?
- Will you understand our unique environment?
- What about debt?
I can usually alleviate these concerns with relative ease as they are often unfounded. Over the years, however, I have witnessed a great tragedy happen when churches decide not to move forward with their capital campaigns or attempt to do conduct them in-house. As a result, what I have witnessed are legitimate fears pastors should really have.
The following are 10 Things Pastors Should Really Fear About Capital Campaigns:
- What is the impact on your community and people’s eternal destinies if your mission and vision are not fully-funded and realized? A question is often asked, “If our church ceased to exist, would our community miss it?” Do you realize when your mission and vision is not fully-funded, a portion of your church has ceased to exist. A lack of financial resources should be a fear.
- What happens to those people who are turned away because you are out of space and refuse to build? People spending eternity separated from God should be a fear.
- What happens to those young families people in your congregation who are not discipled and never learn the joy of generosity and the blessings which come from giving to their local church because you did not move forward with a campaign? A lack of young families, discipleship, first-time givers, and an increase in weekly giving should be a fear.
- How will leaders respond when you never move forward after it has been talked about over-and-over again? Leaders are about advancement and moving forward. A lack of trust and confidence in leadership should be a fear.
- If you conduct a capital campaign without a partner and miss your goal, who is held accountable from a trust and credibility perspective? “Five loaves and two fish” won’t work. Doing a campaign without a partner should be a fear.
- What happens to a congregation who is never taught to sacrifice? Greed should be a fear.
- What will happen if you conduct a capital campaign and do not have the proper prayer and biblical teaching as its foundation? People not connecting with the heart of God should be a MAJOR fear.
- What if you never invite your financial leaders into the process and those funds wind up in the hands of organizations which provide no eternal value? Competition for the non-profit dollar should be a fear.
- How do you avoid a transactional fundraiser and instead experience a transformational journey of generosity? A transactional fundraiser should be a fear.
- What happens when the campaign concludes? Did any lasting life-change actually happen? Returning to business-as-usual should be a fear.
These are legitimate fears. A God-honoring, vision-driven, biblically-based capital campaign experience undergirded by prayer with a great partner alleviates these fears.
Pastor and church leader, if you need to raise significant capital in 2018 and would like to talk about timing, how much you could raise, how to engage the next generation in a biblical process, how to make a capital campaign fun, or any fears you may have, simply reply to this email or send me a note at email@example.com.
I would like to help you and setup a FREE 30-minute phone consultation to do so. In fact, this subject is of such importance, you can even call or text my personal cell number at 678-814-9403.
Thanks for reading these thoughts. I hope God blesses everything your hand touches and 2018 is the best ministry year you have ever had.
Click HERE or on the image to the left and as a free gift for subscribing to this site, you can receive my new Ebook 1269 Leadership Quotes: Timeless Truths From 2016’s Top Christian Leadership Conferences. Featured are the Johnny Hunt Mens Conference, ReThink Leadership, Orange and Leadercast Conferences among others. If applied, these insights will make you an exponentially better leader. Enjoy!!!